It is time for the second installment of the “Ten Questions” series. This time, I decided to focus on my friend and mentor, Gail Nogle. Of the many masterful photographers who have guided me through my career, Gail is at the top of the list.
So without further introduction, here are Gail’s Ten Questions:
1. If someone had never heard of you and you had to show them ONE of your images to illustrate your style, which image would you show them?
A – I would show the image of my Mother/Baby – because I feel it is my most creative work so far and took me 4 years to perfect.
2. When you weight the pros and cons, has digital been a good thing or a bad thing overall for photography?
A – Overall it has dimished the legacy of the art of photography.
3. If you couldn’t be a photographer, what would you be?
A – I would be a sailor and travel the high seas looking for adventure!!
4. You always say, “If you don’t ask, the answer is always no.” When did you come up with that philosophy?
A – When I realized that I misseed a lot of oppotunites by NOT asking.
5. Has it ever gotten you in trouble?
A – Somtimes yes, sometimes no – but it always interesting.
6. You have been a long-time participant in print competition. What do you see as the most common mistake that new entrants make?
A – Too much Photoshop.
7. If you could have anyone (still living) walk into the studio tomorrow for a portrait session, who would it be?
A – The fabulous photograper – Sebastiao Selgado.
8. Do you think classical portraiture will make a comeback or is snapshot photography the way of the future?
A – I could only hope that would happen, however – nobody is studying classical portraiture anymore.
9. The thing that drives me crazy the most is …
A – Trying to live in digital world.
10. Even your closest friends would probably be surprised to know that I once …
A – I took flying lessons and soloed after 9 hours of instruction!
For more on Gail, check out her website: Gail Nogle Photography
Do you know anyone who would be a good subject for a future edition of Ten Questions? If so , send me an email or leave a comment and let me know. I’m always on the lookout for interesting people!